Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lives with Dignity


Without the full story, there has (sort of) been talk that I am basically a BA (which is super exciting, I'm so stoked about that!) and that I am willing to confront people "who are of authority". I make it sound cooler than what it is, because I don't have a lot of opportunities where I like a cool person who is confrontational with the attitude of "screw you".

But, I have to explain and break it down, at least a little bit. I'm not disrespectful through confrontation, but I am willing to confront issues. It's an acquired skill, it's something I've been trained to do. It is not something that I am naturally good. Through being an RA and grad school, I've learned to stand up for myself. That I need to stand up for myself and how to appropriately do it. I've learned how to stand up for others too.

I've always been more willing to speak on another's behalf than for my own, but I wasn't ever good at it. I wasn't usually the girl to spread rumors about someone or to tear someone down, but I wasn't always the girl to openly stand up for someone and defend them either. I've learned though that people, all people, including myself, deserve lives with dignity. All people, including myself, are worthy.

So when a manager at work is disrespectful towards me or anyone else, I say something. I'm not disrespectful, I don't yell, I don't raise my voice, I don't swear. I also am not silent. I don't just do what I'm told (that'll probably be another post soon). I don't take it laying down.

My education doesn't make me better than someone.
Your position doesn't make you better than someone.
My experience doesn't make me better than someone.
Your authority doesn't make you better than someone.

The managers at work deserve lives with dignity.
The employees deserve lives with dignity.
I deserve a life with dignity.

So yes, when a manager criticizes me, talks over me, talks about me in front of me, is rude, is disrespectful, and/or (let's be real, it's usually "and") tells me to not question anything, I say something. I'm not nice, but I am kind. And there is a huge difference between the two. I tell them that it's not okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment