Saturday, December 5, 2015

How Terrorists Help My Faith

These past few weeks, I've come to the realization that terrorists are helping my faith.
Terrorists, by definition are, those who use violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Islam is a really neat religion. Islam has five pillars of faith: Belief, worship, fasting, almsgiving, and pilgrimage.

I get challenged within my own faith so often, especially lately, because I have so many doubts, questions, and confusions, primarily about other Christians. Because I look at so many people who have the label of "Christian" and they don't look anything like Jesus. I think,"If Christianity were right and Jesus was real and able to conquer sin, Christians wouldn't pervert the Gospel" and "If people who claim to believe in the Gospel actually did, they would do life much differently".

Terrorism has given me some hope into Christianity, because I see another religion (Islam), which is a really beautiful religion and guided by kindness, charity, gentleness. And you have people, terrorists like those who are part of ISIS and al-Queda, who pervert the religion of Islam and say they are Muslim.

And somehow, I am able to separate terrorists from Muslims; I am able to see the difference between those who are actually practicing Islam and those who are perverting the religion and saying it's in the name of Islam. ISIS/ISIL, standing for Islamic State of Iraq/Syria, is an incorrect acronym. Because the Islamic State would look a lot different than resulting in terrorism, I would guess. In no way does terrorism from "radical Muslims" affect or skew my view of Muslims or the Islamic religion. In no way do I see any resemblance.

So how come it's so hard for me to have that differentiation with Christians? Maybe because it's more personal, since I subscribe to the Christian faith, maybe when I see "radical Christians" it hits more at home?

Terrorists help my faith because I realize all faiths, all people groups, have "radicals" and not in the good way (Because, arguably there is a good way to be radical). Terrorists help my faith because I see a vast difference between true Muslims and....those who say they are Muslim and perpetuate terrorism. It's really easy for me to not generalize the acts of terrorism to all those who are Muslim.

But it's hard for me to not generalize the acts of "radical Christians" to Christianity and ultimately, to Jesus. I look at terrorists and I realize that if I believe that terrorists don't represent Islam, then it's reasonable to assume that "radical Christians" don't represent Jesus. It's reasonable to assume that Jesus doesn't look anything like "radical Christians". And it's reasonable to assume that those Christians who pervert the Gospel aren't representing the Gospel, they are representing their own agenda.

So I look at al-Quada and ISIS and I think they're terrorists who use the Islam faith as a springboard for their own agenda and aren't actually submitting themselves to God and that helps me to look at Christians who use the Christian faith to springboard for their own agenda and aren't actually wholly in love with Christ.

I do believe Jesus is real and I do believe He conquered sin. And I believe those who have submitted themselves to the I AM and fully repented and allowed Jesus to be the King of their life and spent time with Him and grew in their faith and talked to Him and believe that He did die and rose again and believe that He has endless and boundless grace and agape love, that they wouldn't pervert the Gospel and they would do life differently.

I think these thoughts are right: "If Christianity were right and Jesus was real and able to conquer sin, Christians wouldn't pervert the Gospel" and "If people who claim to believe in the Gospel actually did, they would do life much differently".

If someone says they are Muslim and their actions result in terrorism, I don't believe them. Likewise, if someone says they are Christian and their actions result in hurt, anger, judgement, or despair to others, I don't believe them. Because terrorism doesn't represent Islam and meanness doesn't represent Christianity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment