Thursday, January 8, 2015

Mindy Kaling

I have apparently been into reading celebrity books...didn't realize that until I finished my third one. Mindy Kaling "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)" was awesome! (I loved it more than Ellen's and Tina Fey's!).

She had a section called The Best Distraction in the World: Romance and Guys and that is what sealed the deal of my love for her and the book.


  • First sentence: I have never had a one night stand. (p. 153)
  • Second sentence: According to every women's magazine and television program ever made, this is super-unforgivablely lame..." (p. 153)
  • The chapter is called "Someone Explain one night stands to me"
  • Another sentence: The sexiest thing in the world is the feeling that you're wanted. (p. 153


A few chapters later: "Men and Boys"

  • Sentences from it:
    • Men scared the shit out of me. Men know what they want. Men make concrete plans. Men own alarm clarks. Men buy new shampoo instead of adding water to a nearly empty bottle of shampoo. Men go to the dentist. Men make reservations. Men go in for a kiss without giving you some long preamble about how they're thinking of kissing you...Men know what they want and they don't let you in on their inner monologue, and that is scary. (p. 177-8)
    • ......I want a guy who is entrenched in his own life. (p. 180)
And a few chapters after that: "Married People Need to Step It Up"
  • Sentences from it:
    • But I think the actual reason Shakespeare ended them there is because he thought the journey leading up to marriage was more fun to watch than the one that begins after the vows were said. (p. 183). 
  • She talks about a new group of people she has discovered--the unhappily married people. 
    • She then has a section called "A couple of great marriages", giving case studies of awesome marriages.
  • And the next section is called "C'mon Married People" (my favorite!!)
    • She talks about how she doesn't want to hear about the endless struggles to keep sex exciting or all the work for the date night. Rather, she wants to hear about how you watch every episode of a show together or one person got another hooked onto a show and if you watch it without the other, you're dead meat.  
    • "I want to hear about it because I know it's possible, and  because I want it for myself"
    • She says other cool stuff and then says...
    • "Married people, it's up to you. It's entirely on your shoulders to keep this sinking institution afloat....Please be psyched and convey that psycedness to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment