Thursday, January 8, 2015

Bride and Groom



Like a bride, waiting for her groom
We'll be a Church, waiting for you
Every heart, longing for her King

I love the comparison of Christ and the Church as a beautiful marriage.

I have come to hate the word "separation" because it's a word that we only use with marriages (when used in regards to relationships). Have you noticed that? I just recently realized this. If we're dating, or even engaged, we use "broke up". But I've never heard a married couple or divorced couple say "we broke up". It's always the word "separated". And it's likewise, it's rare to hear a dating/engaged couple use separated, although I have heard that before.

Separation is more about a process. And it's reserved for those special relationships, the ones where we cannot just sever ties and be done with it. Separation has to happen because the relationship was such an entanglement of two people. Without two people being significantly tied together (re: marriage), the verbage will likely be "broke up" or "no longer together". In fact, I don't usually get too bummed about hearing break ups...on some level, I'm more glad, even. Because that means, "We didn't make a total commitment to each other, we got to know each other, realized for x,y,z (values, dreams, hopes, desires, beliefs, fill in the blank) weren't in alignment and we can't serve better together, we can't do life better together. And we realized this in good time. Before saying, 'All in'."

Divorce and separation break my heart. It's near the top of my list of injustices in the world. I started going in the direction of discussing divorce/separation with this post, but I'm changing my mind and going back to the original purpose of this post.

About Jesus and the bride and the groom. 

I have been listening to this song on repeat. I love the lyrics

Like a bride waiting for her groom
We'll be a church, waiting for you

Eagerly, passionately, excitedly. Telling their friends all about their groom. Wanting to introduce everyone to them. Awaiting them as they walk down the aisle, gazing upon their handsomeness and gorgeousness. Eyes only on each other. Their hearts longing for each other. Wanting to share the moment with others (wedding), yet anxiously awaiting their moments together (honeymoon).

Marriage and relationships bring me such joy. They can work. It is possible. It's not game over. It's game start.


Also, this site is awesome: http://www.youandmeforever.org/
It's Francis Chan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment