Sunday, October 19, 2014

Your Views on Mainstream Music

I love mainstream music. Pop, popular, mainstream, whatever you want to call it--I love it. I think it's fun and usually catchy and generally engaging. It gives me a way to connect to people. I love singing and songs that a lot of people know are wicked fun to sing along to.

However, there are a few things I don't like. I don't like swear words. Sometimes, they're necessary in a song, I'll go with that. But some songs, I can't listen to, no matter how fun, when there's too much swearing. I also don't like too much sexualization. I don't mind "sexiness" in songs, but actual sexualization, not a fan.

Annnd there are also times when I have to stop listening to pop/mainstream, because it starts to influence me in a negative way. So then I take a break from it. Usually, songs like that are ones that are sexualizing, dehumanizing, and reducing people (usually women) to status, hotness, and how sexual they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment