Thursday, January 14, 2021

Racial Injustice

One of my friends texted me this the other day:

Good morning ladies! Recent events and Jesus beating me over the head this morning has made me return to a thought I had months ago about learning more about racial justice.


Would y’all be interested in Zooming once a week, or every other week, to talk about racial justice? We can read a book together, listen to a podcast or Emmanuel Acho’s YouTube videos, etc.


I tense up every time race comes up. And I want to be able to speak. And I feel comfortable with both of you. I want to have an open, honest, respectful, and “educational” conversation about these issues and I believe I can do that with y’all. 


So what do you say? Interested? 

I am so grateful to have strong, supportive, loving people in my life. I guess also this person is more than a friend, they are my cousin 😁😁 One of the ones I talked about in the "Family Bonding Time". She texted her sister and me this and I am truly blessed. Blessed to have people like them in my life, to have people who hold me accountable, to have people who love Jesus and see that loving Jesus means recognizing our white privilege and advocate for our black friends. We get it wrong, we mess up, we learn, we try. And none of us are known for our advocacy or would consider ourselves advocates. But we all have learned that racial injustice is real and that part of our power includes standing up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment