Sunday, October 19, 2014

How Important You Think Education Is

I can't get on board with the idea that someone who has a lot of experience in something is more equipped than someone who has formal education. I'm a huge proponent of formal education. I totally believe that everyone can graduate from high school. Some have to work waaaay harder than others, but still doable.

My brother got to hear my monologues about how valuable and important formal education is over and over and over and over again. And most of my friends (probably all, actually) would say "Education is one of the most important things to Ashley". Particularly formal education.

Post secondary school is something I value a lot too. Admittedly, I have the most respect for fully accredited 4 year universities, as a degree from there holds more weight than any other institution, however I also understand and believe that not everyone can/should/wants to go to a university like that. And that's okay. Regardless, I think college (however defined) helps people do the following:


  • Refining writing skills
  • Developing critical thinking skills
  • Knowing how to research
  • Building lasting relationships
  • Seeing growth in one self
  • Can show up and adhere to deadlines
College is where you learn those things. It's not about what you major in or what grades you get or what classes you took. It's about those 6 things. Formal education exists to purposely and purposefully help you. When someone tells me they have a bachelor's degree, I immediately see them as someone who has been equipped with those 6 things. I thought about continuing on, but this is my main point...education is important and valuable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment