Monday, January 28, 2013

Challenge #3A/B

Remember my challenges to my faith?

  1. The idea that God doesn't exist...and that doesn't have to be a bad thing.
  2. There are awesome people who don't know Jesus
There was another challenge. 
Whether homosexuality is "wrong" or not.

Once Jordan told me how they identified, I felt like I had to choose between my best friend and my beliefs. I felt like I was betraying the Church. I was struggling and I didn't know what to do or who to talk to. 

I realized something though. I don't really care whether or not homosexuality is "wrong". And I'm not betraying the Church or my beliefs or Jesus.

This isn't an "I don't care" like I'm being apathetic or I'm too lazy too research it. On the contrary. It's an "I don't care" like...I. DON'T. CARE.

To be clear, I do think there is usually a very bold line with what is clear of what is a sin (anything imperfect/against God) and what isn't. And I don't think taking the "I don't care" response should be common to most topics. 

I don't care if homosexuality is "wrong" or not. Sure, I have questions. Honest questions. Like:
Are people actually born this way?
What does that mean to be attracted to the same sex?
What even is sexual orientation? 
Are attractions a social concept? 

I have other questions to. Real questions. Like:
Why was my best friend so afraid to tell me? 
Why do people hate people because of who they're attracted to? 
Why can't my best friend say who they're dating without feeling judged?


I claimed that I loved Jordan. If I really loved Jordan, then that love wouldn't stop at the line of how Jordan identifies. "I don't get go put fences around agape." Agape love. Unconditional. Always.

God met me where I was at just after Jordan came out to me. He said, "Ash, I still love and adore Jordan so, so much. Don't you dare ever stop loving Jordan. Whether or not homosexuality is a 'sin' or not is between me and Jordan. Leave that to me. It doesn't matter for you. You just keep loving Jordan."




No comments:

Post a Comment